Tagore Theatre Society came into being on 30.05.1972 with the following objectives:
1) to encourage and promote the performing arts and to take steps to create interest in them.
2) to encourage the revival of folk forms of the performing arts.
3) to undertake all such activities as would further the objectives so set forth with a view to establishing a tradition of excellence in these arts.
4) to raise funds and acquire property through donations, grants or contributions for achieving the objectives of the society.
5) to do such other things as may be considered incidental or conducive to the fulfilment of objects of the society or any of them.
A variety of organisations such as Schools, Colleges, Amateur Theatre Groups, NGOs, Private Companies, Govt. Departments, Akademies, etc. hold different programs at Tagore Theatre. These Programs include cultural as well as other programs like Business Seminars, Theatre Festivals, Annual Functions, etc.
Tagore Theatre charges discriminately for different programs from different Organizers. For example, in order to promote Amateur Theatre Groups/NGOs, they are charged Rs.10,000/- for staging a Play whereas a others are charged at higher rates for the same Play. It also holds programs for the entertainment of public at large every last Sunday of the month.
Tagore Theatre Society assists Department of Cultural Affairs U.T. Administration, Chandigarh in holding its Festivals at Tagore Theatre for promotion of Performing Arts/Culture/Folk Form of Performing Arts.